Meet WorldSkills Singapore gold medalist, Ng Zi Xuan!

by | Sep 11, 2019 | Events, Overseas Experiences, People, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Women in Science

Ng Zi Xuan, currently a fourth year Chemistry and Biological Chemistry (CBC) undergraduate in the NTU School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (SPMS), won the Gold medal in Chemical Laboratory Technology at WorldSkills Singapore 2018. She went on to represent Singapore in the WorldSkills Competition in Kazan, Russia in August 2019. We spent some time with Zi Xuan where she generously shared her WorldSkills experience…

You won the Gold medal in Chemical Laboratory Technology at WorldSkills Singapore 2018. How were you selected for this competition?

In October 2018, I received an email asking if I was interested to participate in the competition. Back then, I was still unaware about what WorldSkills was and never had the chance to participate in a Chemistry competition, so I decided to give it a go.

Prior to all this, I was in the Undergraduate Research Experience on Campus (URECA) programme under the supervision of Asst Prof Felipe Garcia. Under his guidance, I managed to publish a paper as a second author by May 2018, presented a poster in the Singapore Inorganic Chemistry Symposium July 2018, and another poster at Singapore International Chemistry Conference in December 2018.

In the lead up to the competition in Kazan, how did you prepare for it?

SPMS helped to organise various training sessions for me within and outside of CBC. As Chemical Laboratory Technology was first introduced in the WorldSkills competition in 2018, besides being given a vague technical description, we did not know what to expect. As such, I was trained to operate various instruments, including X-ray diffraction machines which would otherwise only be available to PhD students and research staff. I also attended additional lab modules outside of the curriculum for additional training. All this was on top of URECA, two research projects, and my academic modules.

After the semester ended, I had training sessions in the School of Biological Sciences for more biology lab experience and went on a month-long internship at Shimadzu. During the internship, I had the chance to work along their application chemists and learn how to operate and maintain most of their instruments.

What was it like to balance school, practice for the competition, and social life?

Besides training, school and research, I was very active in my co-curricular commitments – I was Chief Programmer for the Nanyang Art Festival (organized by NTU Cultural Activities Club), Chief Logistics Officer in NTU Concert Engineers, Regular Volunteer in NTU Welfare Services Club Elders and did external volunteer work in my community’s Youth Executive Committee and Residents’ Committee.

Even before WorldSkills came into the picture, my schedule was already packed, but I managed to pull it off. If I put my mind towards doing something, I give my full commitment, and I see it through. It definitely was not easy and there were times where I really struggled to meet deadlines. Almost every free pocket of time between my classes was occupied with training sessions and research work, and free time after curriculum time was spent in CCAs.

However, I am really grateful to have such an understanding and supportive supervisor who never gave up on me and helped me within his means. I am also thankful for my friends who believed in me, especially those who were always there when I needed a listening ear or support to get through these times. And of course, not forgetting the support given by my family. The journey was tough, but having gotten past those times, I have no regrets, especially after seeing the fruits of my labour.

Zi Xuan and Asst Prof Felipe Garcia

How did it feel to represent Singapore on the world stage in Kazan?

It was an honour to pin the Singapore flag on my chest in an international competition. Throughout my life, I never had the chance to participate in competitions, let alone represent the country in one. Being the first participant from a university definitely adds more pressure, as expectations of an undergraduate are definitely higher. However, as the subject of Chemical Laboratory Technology was new, and no one really knew what to expect, I went in with only hopes of gaining more experience, as well as to form friendships with representatives from the other countries.

When did your interest in Chemistry start?

I can’t really remember, but I think it was in secondary school. Chemistry was one of the subjects I enjoyed and excelled in.

Any words of advice to prospective students keen to pursue Science at the university level?

Always try to find joy in whatever you do. Although there may be times where the things you end up having to do might not excite you, find a purpose in them for yourself to enjoy doing them. Never give up in what you enjoy doing despite any hardships you might face!

Zi Xuan and the WorldSkillsSG Team

About WorldSkills

WorldSkills organises the world championships of vocational skills. It is held biennially in different parts of the world. The organisation also hosts conferences about vocational skills. For more information, visit https://worldskills.org/what/