Meet the 2020 CoS Valedictorians: Kang Hwee Young (SPMS)

by | Jul 3, 2020 | People, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences

The convocation ceremonies for this year have been postponed in light of the pandemic, but don’t let that dampen your spirits to celebrate this important milestone! In this series, Science@NTU took some time to know the 2020 CoS valedictorians. They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on staying positive during these uncertain times. First up, we have Kang Hwee Young from the School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences.

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.” – Alan Turing

How did you end up studying Mathematics & Economics?

I always enjoyed Mathematics and wanted to learn more about different ways mathematics can be used in real life. I learned that there are many interesting ways mathematics can be used. Some of the popular ones are optimization (scheduling, route planning, etc), Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.

What did you enjoy most during your four years in NTU SPMS?

I enjoy giving back to the community. As part of Red Cross Youth NTU Chapter, I organised blood donation drives in NTU. I also tutored a visually impaired student from SPMS. Helping others made me realise how fortunate I am.

A group photo with coursemates to mark the end of a semester

Which experience had the greatest impact on you?

I participated in 3 internships during my 4 years in NTU SPMS. These internships gave me insights into the importance and relevance of what I was taught in school. I gained a lot of exposure and the experience helped shape my chosen career path. The internship experiences gave me a chance to meet people from different business functions and observe how organisations plan and execute projects. This allowed me to understand the relevance and usefulness of the concepts that are taught in NTU.

An early graduation trip to Korea

What’s your next step after graduation?

I took up a scholarship with DSO National Laboratories and I will be working with them after graduation.

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science?

Follow your passion. If you love the sciences, go for it! The skills you learn will be valuable.

A group photo with coursemates

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year, during these uncertain times?

Do not give up! There are always ups and downs in life. Do not let this crisis define who you are.