​ASE student Chai Min Wei winner of NTU PEAK best ideation award

by | Nov 26, 2020 | Asian School of the Environment, Earth Sciences, People

Chai Min Wei, who is a final year geoscience student from ASE, shares about his experiences under the NTU Peak programme. Photo credit: Chai Min Wei.

Congratulations to ASE student Chai Min Wei who was selected for the NTU PEAK industry mentorship programme, which is an achievement in itself, and was then also part of the team that won NTU Peak best ideation award. The panel of judges were “impressed by the students’ ability to deliver ideas for solutions to critical problems”.

NTU PEAK is an intensive student development programme that the NTU Career & Attachment Office (CAO) co-developed with industries to groom high calibre NTU students into industry-relevant future leaders, who wish to impact the workplace and community. The month-long programme runs twice a year and selects only around 40 high potential students from across all NTU Colleges. These students get the opportunity to be guided by industry mentors from various functions of the participating organisations to solve real-world business challenges.

We caught up Chai Min Wei, an ASE geoscience student in his final year, to find out more about his experience.

Chai Min Wei was part of the team which took home the Best Ideation award. Photo credit: Chai Min Wei.

What made you want to join NTUPeak?

I always had a strong passion for sustainability, and this run’s theme of sustainability resonated strongly with me. Joining NTUPeak allowed me to work on something I have a strong interest in and learn more about the perspectives of industry leaders.

Which industry did your mentor come from?

My group worked with TÜV SÜD, from the Testing, Inspection, and Certification (TIC) industry. My project was particularly focused on their certification and auditing department and how they can provide services catered for sustainability.

Could you tell us about the tool your team came up with and that led to winning the best ideation award?

Our business challenge was focused on how TÜV SÜD can align their sustainability solutions to the demand of customers or future trends. We saw an opportunity to provide sustainability services for all companies, not just the largest ones, and therefore wanted to create a tool that is easily accessible and simple to use. This led to the creation of an online sustainability assessment tool to help companies assess their current policies and set future targets.

What have you gained through NTUPeak?

I have learnt to work with people from different faculties (3 Engineers and 1 accountant) and really trying to leverage each other’s strengths to come up with the best solution. The one-month time constraint also taught me to be more efficient, which resulted in quickly understanding the business challenge and focusing on the main issues.

Had your training in ASE prepared you well for this challenge?

I think the rigorous course structure of ASE helped me to work under pressure and improve my critical thinking skills. Being exposed to different modules also taught me how to do a deep dive into a brand-new topic. I believe that encouraging students to take modules different from their specializations will be important as it creates a more holistic education for us. Modules with a strong focus on the application of our skills in real-life situations will be important as well (Eg Sustainability, Urban resilience, etc).

Do you have any advice for students who would like to participate in NTUPEAK?

Be proactive in group discussions and create a conducive environment for teamwork. As there is only one month to get to know and work with your teammates, I believe that making these connections are essential to tackle these business challenges.