Meet the CoS Valedictorians: Stella Ferdinand (SBS)

by | Sep 29, 2021 | Biology, Women in Science

In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2021 CoS valedictorians! They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on staying positive during these uncertain times. Next, we have Stella Ferdinand from the School of Biological Sciences (SBS).

Like many other students, Stella Ferdinand spent her first few years in university juggling between her academics and building a holistic student life. Ultimately, Stella graduated with not only a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences and Psychology and a minor in Entrepreneurship, but also — her greatest takeaway —the fruitful, holistic experience and the relationships built over the four years. Let’s hear more from Stella herself.

What is a favourite quote of yours that you live by?

If a window of opportunity appears, don’t pull down the shade.

– Tom Peters

How did you end up studying Biology and Psychology with a minor in Entrepreneurship?

My elder sister studied Psychology and when I asked her about the anatomy of the human brain, I was enthralled by its many functions. The way each small segment of flesh controlled a large part of one’s behaviour was fascinating to me. This mix of the scientific intricacies and human behaviour sparked my interest in neuroscience and this interdisplinary course was the perfect fit!

The study of entrepreneurship came by chance though. Due to the onset of COVID-19, I was recalled early from my exchange semester in Vancouver, Canada. In addition, a large portion of my internship plans were also disrupted. However upon my return, I chanced upon the opportunity to join the Minor in Entrepreneurship programme offered by Nanyang Technopreneurship Centre during this very period. I figured that it was a good way to expose myself to more business cases and to learn first-hand about the entrepreneurial spirit. As this course also allowed me to pick up key accounting and business concepts which is not something I might have picked up in my double major programme, I saw the value add and decided to enter this challenging, insightful, and rigorous minor programme. It also led me to start a business which is something I had never thought I’d do when I first entered university. Having gone through this experience, I have broadened my mindset to consider non-traditional career pathways and I will keep the lessons learnt close to my heart as I begin my career. In addition, I also hope to bring the entrepreneurial spirit along with me as I build innovative solutions.

What did you enjoy most during your four years in NTU SBS?

Throughout my 4 years in SBS, I really enjoyed hustling hard alongside my batchmates through the rigorous curriculum, the challenging assessments and the tumultuous exam periods. I would like to give a special shoutout to my 12 other batchmates in the BSPY programme. We often shuttled across the school between SBS and HSS, handled a range of vastly different modules from psychology and found little joys whenever we made that connection between the 2 different domains.

Something many of us SBS students, across batches, can relate to is the countless number of hours spent cramming in the SBS tutorial rooms and study lounge during the weeks leading up to the exam period. These sessions often lasted till the wee hours of the morning and when we faced a difficult problem, we would approach students across the other tables to discuss and find a solution. It is this spirit of collaboration and kindness to share and help others in need is something I appreciated in SBS.

P.S. The study lounge is also where we would savour the refreshments provided by the SBS Club Team during the exam period. (Thank you for 4 years worth of snacks!)

What’s your next step after graduation?

I just started work in healthcare! I look forward to applying the skills honed in biology and psychology to apply it to various business and operational challenges.

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science?

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger 🙂 The study of Science will challenge you and push you to think critically in the many modules. In the next few years, you might find yourself sometimes wondering if you made the right decision, but hey you really did! I want to assure you that this is a struggle that many of us go through but remembering your initial purpose and desire to study biology and pushing through alongside your friends, in SBS is what will bring you to greater heights. At the same time, I would also like to encourage you to be an explorer and adventurer and chart your own path of growth in your next few years in university. NTU and SBS is a safe haven for many of us, and you will be provided with a plethora of opportunities. I would like to encourage you to be open-minded in trying your hand at a variety of academic and non-academic activities within and outside of biology.

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year, during these uncertain times?

Einstein once said that “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity”.

These times are unprecedented and it is difficult graduating in the midst of a pandemic be it the uncertainty of the population health, the job market, the inability to connect with our new colleagues physically. However, as the class of 2021, we have a history of taking on challenges and emerging stronger. After all, many of us were recalled home in the midst of our student exchange, had our lessons turn fully virtual in the midst of the semester and are now yet again soldiering on to find our place in the working world. It is at this point of time when we are also given the opportunity to delve away from traditional norms, take the road less travelled, do things a little differently and create our own legacy as the Class of 2021. My hope is for our batch to embrace this spirit of exploration and change, to soldier through the hard times and become stronger, together. You got this!

As we go along different paths in life, let us keep the memories, friendships and community spirit built in SBS close to our hearts. Wishing the best for all of us, always!

NTU SBS is currently commemorating their 20th anniversary, do you have a message that you would like to share with the school?

SBS has come a long way since its early days. In my 4 years here, I have witnessed a glimpse of its grit to adapt to new norms and its adaptable mindset through its curriculum redesign. As we progress towards the next 10, 20 and 50 years, I hope that SBS remains at the forefront of change and is quick to adapt to  global trends to better develop students.

I am proud to be from SBS and I hope that SBS continues to be a home ground for undergraduates with a talent and passion for biology, yet simultaneously challenging students to develop holistically in other domains. Thank you for being an important part of my NTU journey. Happy 20th Anniversary SBS!