Meet the CoS Valedictorians: Lee Shu Hui (SPMS)

by | Oct 1, 2021 | People, Physics, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Women in Science

In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2021 CoS valedictorians. They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on staying positive during these uncertain times. Finally, we have Lee Shu Hui from the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences.

How did you end up studying Physics?

My interest in physics was sparked when I watched a quantum mechanics lecture as a teenager. I felt a sense of being part of something much bigger than me. The pursuit of understanding the natural laws became of great interest to me. 

What did you enjoy most during your four years in NTU SPMS?

I enjoyed getting to know the people around me. The students, staff, and professors were very friendly. 

Which experience had the greatest impact on you?

For me, it was the Feynman conference in 2018. A professor who presented at the conference came up to me and a friend during the break. He encouraged us to pursue a career in science and to study physics at the graduate level. His modesty and down-to-earth character stood out to me. As we chatted about his discovery from his graduate school years, I was deeply inspired and moved by how much his discovery meant so much to him — even through the years. 

What’s your next step after graduation?

I am doing graduate studies under Prof. Lew Wen Siang in SPMS.

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science?

Regardless of what you choose to study in the end, ultimately I believe Science is an excellent choice. (I speak from the perspective of someone studying physics; perhaps my counterparts in biology and chemistry can correct me about their fields.) Science can teach us many things about the world, and the fundamentals on which it is based. We learn that some things do not change, amid the ephemerality of so many other aspects of life. We learn to be open to learning from what the unchanging laws of nature can teach us. We learn that there are diverse laws governing a rich universe, and these laws working in combination result in great complexity. We learn that we have yet to discover and understand so much more than we currently yet understand. We learn to be confident in our ability to help improve the lives of others and yet to be humble enough to throw out old ideas and accept new ideas from what we learn in our study of nature. 

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year, during these uncertain times?

I believe the future is bright. Regardless of our circumstances, we can always find happiness and great opportunities in the present. 

Provide a quote that inspires you.

“… out of small things proceeds forth that which is great.”

This quote reminds me that our focus on working on the small fundamentals in each day can lead to comparatively larger, positive change.