Biological Sciences: Meet Zacharia Lee from NTU SBS

by | Jan 14, 2022 | Biology, People, School of Biological Sciences

As part of NTU School of Biological Science’s (SBS) Meet Our Students series, we connected with undergraduates from the school’s seven different programmes to learn about their motivations behind joining the programme, their experiences here at NTU SBS and more. In this series, we will also address some frequently asked questions about the programme. 

The first undergraduate we met was Zacharia Lee, known as “Zac” to his friends. Zac is currently enrolled in the single degree Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences programme. 

Can you share with us why did you join NTU SBS Biological Sciences (BS) Programme?

I like how even the smallest scientific discoveries and data gathered help contribute to an even bigger discovery. I believe that together, scientists can make the world a better place to live in. My fervent passion for scientific research was ignited during my polytechnic final year project and internship when I realised that through research, I could explore deeper into different areas of my interests and apply what I learnt in theory during classes into actual practice. 

What do you like most about BS?

The freedom to mix and match classes and modules in such a way that we can best fit our schedule, and according to our various fields that we are most keen on learning more about! I also like the fact that our building is the prime location in NTU! It is very close-by to plenty of food locations in school and everything is a walkable distance.

Any tips or advice for prospective students of the BS Programme?

For anyone interested to join BS, do some reading up on modules you might be interested to take up. Do not be afraid to ask questions and feel free to rely on your seniors for help as they are definitely more than willing to lend a helping hand, just as the seniors before them have.

Also, keep your hopes up and dream big! Nothing in life comes easy and you must learn to balance it out and take things as they come. We should all take the time to think about what it is we want to achieve in life, for ourselves and our future. Do not be restrained by what others might say or influence from peers; the world is out there, and we only live once. So, grab life by the reins and hold on tight, because it’s going be a long journey!

Can you share with us a quote that you live by?

My favourite quote is “If you’re going to live, leave a legacy. Make a mark on the world that can’t be erased” by Maya Angelou. This quote really rings true to me, and it just invigorates all the cells in my body and is what I am trying to do through scientific research and contributing to our knowledge of science as we know it.

What is something special about our school?

A: Just outside the SBS building, resides the Quad, where the university holds major events and celebrations like convocation and get-togethers!

What activities have you participated or organised during your course of study at NTU SBS?

I have been a member in the Biological Sciences Club (BS Club) for 2 years. We hold a wide variety of events to enrich student life in SBS, from preparing welfare packages to get the students through the gruelling finals period, to organising fun Clade activities to forge a stronger school identity and bond and bridge gaps between the teaching staff of SBS and our students.

Connect with Zac: Instagram

About Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences

The study of biology is highly relevant to everyday life. As the knowledge base in the biological sciences grows exponentially and technology becomes ever more sophisticated, the ability to think broadly about biology and to apply your knowledge across boundaries of disciplines will inevitably become a very valuable and powerful asset both in the scientific environment and many walks of life.

This programme will prepare you for a variety of careers where you can make a difference in the world. The curriculum covers specialised and advanced topics in stem cells, cancer biology and therapy, physiology, evolutionary biology, neurosciences, amongst others. 

Find out more here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I still take this course if I did not take Biology in Junior College?

Yes, you may as you are only to have the background in at least 1 of the three Sciences. SBS teaches Biology from the basics, so you can still pick up the subject after joining the programme. 

Are internships compulsory? If yes, how does the school help the student to get a placement?

Yes. Internships are integrated into students’ curriculum. Students are allowed to plan when they want to take up internship after they completed Year 2. The school will open a portal with different selections, alternatively the students can outsource for a placement and submit to school for approval.

Are my career options limited without a Masters?

No. As we offer a 4 years direct honours programme, this is equivalent to a Masters in certain countries. If you wish to apply for Ph.D. without an honours degree, you will be required to take up a Masters first.