Biomedical Sciences & Chinese Medicine: Meet Ngiok Yong from NTU SBS

by | Jan 19, 2022 | Biology, People, School of Biological Sciences, Women in Science

As part of NTU School of Biological Science’s (SBS) Meet Our Students series, we connected with undergraduates from the school’s seven different programmes to learn about their motivations behind joining the programme, their experiences here at NTU SBS and more. In this series, we will also address some frequently asked questions about the programme. 

The second undergraduate we met was Chin Ngiok Yong, whom we call “Ngiok”. Ngiok is currently enrolled in the double degree Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences & Bachelor of Chinese Medicine programme. 

Can you share with us why did you join NTU SBS Biomedical Sciences x Chinese Medicine (BMS) Programme?

My goal is to work in the healthcare or science industry. Being in this double degree programme, I get the best of both worlds to explore my interests in science, and Chinese Medicine and offers me a plethora of career options with an understanding of both Eastern and Western perspectives on health and medicine, integrating various approaches to solve modern health issues. The course comprises 3 academic years in NTU and 2 academic years at the Beijing University of Chinese Medicine so I can get to experience both local and overseas education as a bonus. Another bonus is an exchange trip to Anhui, China for exposure and further learning about TCM herbs and their production.

What do you like most about BMS?

I like how it is a rigorous course that constantly keeps me curious and excited. Our knowledge of Chinese Medicine is enhanced through studying Biomedical Sciences, bridging the gap between the different schools of thought on health and treatment. Aside from academics, there are various opportunities to develop ourselves holistically and pursue other interests such as through joining committees or attending faculty events. The people in SBS are friendly and I am thankful for the friends that I have made here who are willing to support each other and lend a helping hand whenever needed.

Any tips or advice for prospective students of the BMS Programme?

For anyone interested to join BMS, my advice is to go for it and don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. You will have to manage your time well and balance your commitments, but this journey together with the small cohort size makes it very fun and worthwhile. Being proficient in Chinese is a plus, but don’t worry about it as long as you put in effort to understand the content.

Can you share with us a quote that you live by?

My favourite quote is “Aut viam inveniam aut faciam” which is Latin for “I shall either find a way or make one”. I hold it close to my heart as a reminder that nothing is set in stone and there is always a way to change things as long as we want to do it.

What is something special about our school?

We have our very own TCM clinic in the SBS faculty building. It is helmed by our very capable and friendly physicians and has a display area that boasts some of the common herbs and treatments that TCM uses. The clinic is open to both students and the public so do come check it out!

What activities have you participated or organised during your course of study at NTU SBS?

I participated in the “Spread Kindness, Not Virus @ SBS” (Exam Welfare event) during AY20/21 where we wrote encouragement notes and pinned them onto a board that are now proudly displayed in the SBS Level 1 Study Lounge as encouragement for our students.

In AY20/21, as the Academic & Welfare Director (TCM) I organised the online TCM Transition Orientation Programme (TOP) to welcome the incoming batch of freshmen. Due to Covid-19, the TCM TOP sub-committee worked extra hard to plan engaging online games and activities for the freshmen to get to know each other and also their seniors. Having the chance to lead TCM TOP as Camp Chair and being there to encourage the friendships and bonds being formed was very heartwarming and is one of the highlights of my NTU SBS journey thus far.

Connect with Ngiok: Instagram | LinkedIn

About Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences and Bachelor of Chinese Medicine

This innovative “East Meets West” bilingual programme trains students in biomedical sciences research and the principles and practice of Chinese Medicine. The programme is an amalgamation of the western approach to Biomedical Sciences with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). The Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Biomedical Sciences is conferred by NTU and the Bachelor of Medicine (Chinese Medicine) is conferred by the Beijing University of Chinese Medicine (BUCM).

The first three years of the double degree are taught at NTU, while the final two years are taught at BUCM in Beijing. Students will learn aspects of biomedical sciences such as genetics, molecular & cell biology, immunology as well as TCM diagnostics, medications, acupuncture and moxibustion.

Find out more here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have very good Chinese to take up this programme?

Minimally, you are required to have a good GCE ‘O’ Level pass in Chinese Language. You are also required to be able to write and converse in Chinese as all Chinese Medicine based courses are taught in Chinese.

Can I practice as a qualified Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner (TCM) in Singapore upon graduation from the double degree in Biomedical Sciences and Chinese Medicine programme?

Completion of the double degree programme does not automatically register a graduate as a certified TCM practitioner. To practice in Singapore, graduates of the double degree programme are required to satisfy the requirements set by the Singapore TCM Practitioners Board of the Ministry of Health. This includes sitting for and passing the national licensing examination conducted by the Singapore TCM Practitioners Board of the Ministry of Health.

Are any courses taught in Chinese in the double degree in Biomedical Sciences and Chinese Medicine programme?

All Chinese Medicine based courses are taught in Chinese. This includes courses taught in both Nanyang Technological University and Beijing University of Chinese Medicine. All biomedical sciences modules are taught in English.