Biological Sciences & Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology: Meet Kristy from NTU SBS

by | Feb 3, 2022 | Biology, People, School of Biological Sciences, Women in Science

As part of NTU School of Biological Science’s (SBS) Meet Our Students series, we connected with undergraduates from the school’s seven different programmes to learn about their motivations behind joining the programme, their experiences here at NTU SBS and more. In this series, we will also address some frequently asked questions about the programme. 

The fifth undergraduate we met was Kristy Lim, who is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences with Second Major in Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology.

Kristy Lim NTU SBS

Can you share with us why did you join NTU SBS Biological Sciences & Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology (BSMCP) Programme?

I joined NTU SBS BSMCP because I saw value in being well-versed in both Biology and Chemistry. The specially curated curriculum and modules offered serves to build a strong foundation in multi-disciplinary science – something that I felt was unique to this programme. Such diverse knowledge is also highly sought after in the pharmaceutical industry. Finally, having done both sciences in my GCE A’ Levels Examinations, I knew my interest lied in Biology and Chemistry. Therefore, I went ahead with my interests and I never regretted applying for this programme (maybe at times when the grind got tough but if I can pull through, so can you!).

What do you like most about BSMCP?

The rigorous curriculum helped me establish a strong foundation in interdisciplinary science, which would be advantageous should I pursue a career in the pharmaceutical industry. I also like learning in two different environments – the School of Biological Sciences (SBS) and the School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (CCEB). This meant learning from a larger variety of professors and expanding my network, meeting course mates from different majors.

Any tips or advice for prospective students of the BS Programme?

For anyone interested to join BSMCP, be prepared to work slightly harder than your peers as you will have to complete more modules with a second major. In addition, more effort needs to be put in to build a strong foundation in Chemistry. Nonetheless, with good planning and time management, it is possible to strike a balance between having fun and coping with schoolwork. My undergraduate years have been a few of the most fulfilling years of my education journey, and I encourage you to Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, pursue your interests, try new activities and graduate with no regrets!

Kristy Lim NTU SBS

Can you share with us a quote that you live by?

My favourite quote is “Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” – Oprah Winfrey. It reminds me to put in my 100% in whatever I do, for I never know what the future ahead of me holds.

What is something special about our school?

The SBS building lies right in the middle of Northspine and Southspine. Hence, there are many accessible food options if you are studying in SBS or require a quick bite in between lessons!

What activities have you participated or organised during your course of study at NTU SBS?

In NTU SBS, I have participated in the Freshmen Transition and Orientation Programme as a Senior Attached. My role was to befriend the incoming freshmen so that they would have a pleasant camp experience and integrate smoothly into SBS! I also assisted the Main Group Leader and Group Leaders wherever necessary to ensure that the programme ran smoothly.

Connect with Kristy: Instagram | LinkedIn

About Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences & Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology

Conducted in partnership with the School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (CCEB), students of this interdisciplinary programme will be cross-trained in biological sciences and chemistry, preparing them for wider career options. Providing a good foundation for students to embark on the area of chemical biology and pharmacology for research and development, students will not only be well equipped with knowledge in both disciplines, but also with the relevant skill sets to embark on careers in biomedical and pharmaceutical research and development.

Find out more here.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a 2nd Major and Double Major?

The main difference is the number of academic units (AUs) that you have to clear. In a Double Major programme, both majors have equal weightage and equal number of AUs to clear. As for a Second Major programme, it only takes up approximately 30% of the total AUs.

What is the difference between Biological Sciences with 2nd major in Medicinal Chemistry & Pharmacology (BSMCP) and Biomedical Structural Biology (BSSB)?

BSSB
Using structural information of disease proteins in virus/bacteria obtained by various imaging methods, such as X-ray crystallography, NMR, cryoEM etc, to identify/design drug targets.

BSMCP
Using chemical synthesis/organic chemistry to synthesise/modify chemical/compound to develop new drugs

Can you choose a second major midway through the programme?

No. Your choice of programme or second major is fixed at the point of enrolment.