Meet the Winners of SBS 20th Anniversary T-Shirt Design Contest!

by | Jun 24, 2022 | Biology, Events, School of Biological Sciences

The School of Biological Sciences at NTU would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming support of the school’s 20th Anniversary T-shirt Pre-order. It would not have been possible without the talented students of SBS. Congratulations for getting into the top 3 and having your designs printed for the SBS fam!

Let us meet the top 3 winners of this contest and pick their brains.

1st: The SBS Varsity T-Shirt

By Nathan Chai & Brian Chok

Message from Nathan & Brian for people who voted and purchased their design:

Thanks for supporting us and we hope to see you guys wearing the t-shirts around!

Inspiration behind design:

We have always found the SBS building to be unique. Although it is not THE HIVE kind of unique, it is something that we SBS students can always resonate with. Hence, it is an element that we really wanted to incorporate into the shirt. We were also keen on creating a conventional and simple varsity design that everyone would immediately recognise as a faculty shirt.

Some things that we are thankful for at SBS:

SBS has been a very welcoming and comfortable place ever since we inducted this freshman year. We have made many friends through orientation, Clade and classrooms that have been pivotal in making learning a lot less of a hill climb. A really warm community of lecturers, seniors and peers that are very willing to share, teach and socialize with one another, and that of course have came in very useful in many instances during our course of study. Even the office staff has been helpful and very accommodating and responsive in the event of any require assistance. Likewise, there are many spaces such as the classrooms, clade room and reading rooms that granted us quietness to study as a community.

Message for SBS’s 20th anniversary:

We would like to congratulate SBS on reaching this milestone and we are very grateful and privileged to be a part of this significant event!

2nd: Through Our Eyes

By Fang Kexin

Message from Kexin for people who voted and purchased her design:

Thank you for voting for or ordering my design! I had a lot of fun creating this shirt, and I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it 🙂

Inspiration behind design:

I was inspired most by the microbiology module taught in SBS! I found it amazing how we are surrounded by all these weird and wonderful creatures that remain invisible to the naked eye, and we are never fully aware of what’s there! So, I incorporated these funky looking creatures to reflect the secrets of biology that we are still discovering. The hill leading up to our school is what all SBS students are painfully familiar with, so I included that as well 😉

Some things that I am thankful for at SBS:

I am thankful for all the great friends that I’ve met in SBS, for the professors who teach us, and for the school’s admin staff who always doing their best to accommodate us!

Message for SBS’s 20th anniversary:

Congrats on 20 years!! SBS has been an experience, and I hope that new batches can continue to learn and grow within SBS. Here’s to many more years of learning!

3rd: Omegas

By Lam Jin Wern Shanon

Message from Shanon for people who voted and purchased her design:

I would like to thank everyone who liked and supported my design! It means a lot to me, and I wish everyone a good sem ahead 😀

Inspiration behind design:

I wanted to make a simple yet meaningful design. Since everyone knows DNA and cells are essential structures of life, I felt that it would make a nice logo when incorporated with the School of Biological Sciences on the DNA backbone and as part of a cell organelle at the back.

Over the past 2 semesters, I have met many people and I am really thankful for the friends and seniors that stuck by. I am also glad that our professors and TAs are friendly and approachable so we can voice our doubts comfortably. I am also grateful for the SBS staff for organising various events and doing all the behind-the-scenes work for us!

Message for SBS’s 20th anniversary:

Congratulations on SBS’s 20th anniversary! I hope that all staff and students will have a meaningful time here at SBS and I would like to wish our school continued success in the years to come!

_____________

The long-awaited t-shirts have arrived, and we will be packing them in batches before we reach out to you with more details on their collection and distribution. We thank you for your patience and look forward to seeing you in the SBS 20th anniversary t-shirts in celebration of this milestone together!