Meet the 2022 CoS Valedictorians: Chua Damien (SBS)

by | Aug 2, 2022 | Alumni, Biology, People, School of Biological Sciences

It’s convocation season again! In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2022 CoS valedictorians. They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on staying positive during these uncertain times. First up, we have Damien Chua from the School of Biological Sciences.

How did you end up studying Biological Sciences with Second Major in Structural Biology (BSSB)?

Since I was a child, I have had experiences interacting with patients with complex, terminal illnesses. This made me question the role of research in biology and medicine today, which compelled me to pursue a career in biomedical research. Understanding that modern biology is an integrative field, I chose to enrol in BSSB, a programme that trained me in areas including bio-organic chemistry, biophysics, mathematics, computational biology, and molecular biology. Studying in SBS provided me with opportunities to interact with nurturing researchers and faculty members who mentored and groomed me in my scientific endeavours.

What did you enjoy most during your four years in NTU SBS?

Stretching myself to the limits. I am extremely grateful to have met great like-minded friends where we exchanged many interesting ideas and dared to take bold moves to help others. As the first batch of SBS students required to complete Professional Internship, we organised a career and networking session under Biological Sciences (BS) Club to engage alumni in the industry. However, the pandemic disrupted our plans and we quickly pivoted to host our first ever webinar. Although it was nerve-wrecking being a moderator for such an event, it was very well-received by our peers.

In Year 4, I worked with a great friend, Emile Chiu, who was the Sports Director for BS Club, to host an academic sharing session. I shared some useful tips in report-writing, including the use of citation tools with the participants. Although planning these events were out of my comfort zone, it was exciting to push boundaries of what was conventionally done. A few months later, as we embarked on our FYP, some of my peers even came back and told me that my tips had helped them a great deal! It is these moments that make you feel that all your efforts were worth it.

Which experience had the greatest impact on you?

I am fortunate to have met many nurturing professors during my time in SBS. Many of them not only taught me great lessons in science and in life, but also showed patience as I haphazardly figured my way out. Dr Ardina Gruber, who only taught me in Year 1 and 2, constantly checked in on me when we bumped into each other in campus. During my FYP Poster day, she could tell that I was anxious, and gave me a pep talk which calmed my nerves. Prof Andrew Tan, whom I had my first ever research attachment with, came full circle to be my supervisor for my FYP. Through our conversations, his enthusiasm for research and care for his colleagues and student greatly shaped how I viewed the field today.

It is not often that we have supportive and nurturing mentors who want the best for you. I’m very grateful to have met many of these people that moulded me into the person I am today.

What’s your next step after graduation?

I will be pursuing my PhD in LKCMedicine under the Nanyang Presidential Graduate Scholarship, investigating metabolic diseases.

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science?

Science is all about being inquisitive, creative, collaborative and most importantly knowing how to have fun! Keep an open mind, explore widely and keep on learning. Just because you study Biology, it doesn’t mean you can’t do Chemistry, Math or Programming. Stay curious, keep talking to different people and listen to their different stories 😊

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year, during these uncertain times?

I appeal to all my peers to trust your struggles.

The Class of 2022 has gone through a tough period of time in the shadow of the pandemic. Although circumstances have changed now – we are not protected by the “moat” of university, I believe that we all have developed grit and resilience to see us through the rough seas.

Pull through, and don’t give up! Don’t ever forget the people around you. Your friends, family and loved ones, we are all here with you to support you. Don’t forget to reach out to us when in need 😊

Provide a quote that inspires you.

“Don’t be afraid of failures! Be afraid of succeeding in things that don’t matter.”

Sometimes, the easy way is to succeed; we often follow conventional routes of success and fail to really think about our own definitions of success. What matters most to you? Succeeding in doing something does not necessarily mean you have changed it for the better. Did your success matter to people around you? How do you continuously improve and impact your community? This quote constantly prompts me to think deeper in my endeavours and be more deliberate my decision-making processes.