Meet the 2022 CoS Valedictorians: Chow Jun Rui (ASE)

by | Aug 3, 2022 | Alumni, Asian School of the Environment, Earth & Environment, Earth Sciences, People

In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2022 CoS valedictorians. They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on staying positive during these uncertain times. First up is Chow Jun Rui from the Asian School of the Environment (ASE).

How did you end up studying Environmental Earth Systems Science (EESS)?

I started being interested in earth science after learning about the lithosphere in my physical geography class in junior college. In the same year, I visited the Stone Forest in Yunnan, China during my family trip, and because of what I have learnt, I felt that I was able to better appreciate the beauty of the landscape. Hence, I wanted to learn more about the natural environment so that when I travel, I would be able to understand the formation of various landscapes and structures to better appreciate their beauty. The modules offered by EESS were topics that I really wanted to learn more about.

The other reason for wanting to study EESS was because of the many opportunities to go on local and overseas field trips throughout the 4 years of study. After my field experience during my physical geography class, I felt that field trips are very important to me because they provide unique, memorable, and hands-on learning experiences that complements classroom learning.

What did you enjoy most during your four years in ASE?

Definitely the field trips! Every trip out into the field in Singapore, Bali or California has been challenging, fun, and refreshing even though there was work to be done. I have had interesting and eye-opening experiences only because of the field trips, which brought me to places and areas that I may not have thought of visiting on a personal trip. I was also able to gain specific knowledge about various field sites that enriched my learning. And of course, the field trips were fun only because my friends were around to share all the cool, funny and tough moments together.

Which experience had the greatest impact on you?

Covid-19. The combination of the circuit breaker and summer break drastically slowed down my pace of life, allowing me to reflect on myself, reset my mentality, and shift my priorities away from academic work and more towards my life.

What’s your next step after graduation?

I am planning to pursue a career in catastrophe research and modelling in the reinsurance industry, so I am currently actively looking out for such opportunities.

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science?

Because science is interdisciplinary and interrelated, have an open mind to explore everything and make links between the things that you will learn. Take up a research project or two to explore your interest – you never know what you will discover and/or what opportunities you will get. Studying Science will be tough, sometimes overwhelming, but it will be fun!

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year, during these uncertain times?

Always try your best for everything that you do, be true to yourself, stay healthy, and keep in touch with one another. I hope everybody gets to pursue something that you truly enjoy.

Provide a quote that inspires you.

“You can’t ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving.” – Paul Kalanithi, When Breath Becomes Air