Global Undergraduate Awards 2022: Regional Winner (Asia) in Education from NTU SBS

by | Oct 6, 2022 | Biology, People, School of Biological Sciences

Congratulations to Lim Jiaqi Alyssa, a Year 4 undergraduate pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences at NTU School of Biological Sciences (SBS) who has been recognized by the Global Undergraduate Awards (UA) 2022! She is a Highly Commended entrant and the Regional Winner for Asia in the Education category. Her entry is titled “Understanding students’ language difficulties in science writing”, supervised by Dr Seah Lay Hoon from National Institute of Education (NIE).

Cited as the ultimate championship of high-potential undergraduates and often referred to as a “junior Nobel Prize”, the Global Undergraduate Awards is the world’s largest international academic awards programme, recognising excellent research and original work across the sciences, humanities, business and creative arts.

Why did you choose to study in NTU SBS?

I have always been interested in biology and I especially like its high relevance to everyday life. NTU SBS curriculum included a compulsory internship and opportunities for undergraduate research in different disciplines under the Undergraduate Research Experience on Campus (URECA) programme, both of which attracted me the most for an education that grows both the breadth and depth of knowledge.

What is your awarded project about?

My awarded project sheds light on the linguistic demands faced by students on the topic of Heat & Temperature, and it is also part of a larger research on the impacts of disciplinary literacy teaching on student outcomes. As language and thought are inextricably linked, we need to first understand the medium science is delivered in to effectively learn scientific concepts. The topic of Heat & Temperature taught at the primary school level is used to set the stage for further studies in physical science, hence mastery of the basic terms and scientific expressions on this topic is crucial for a proper foundation.

However, the linguistic challenges faced by students can hinder them from appreciating the construction and illustration of scientific theories as they might either find it difficult to understand the concepts through language, hence preventing content mastery; or express their ideas in words, hence preventing effective communication. My study highlights the common expression errors in this topic and has the potential to raise science teachers’ language awareness and efficacy in teaching disciplinary literacy.

I also had the opportunity to present the findings of my research at the International Conference of Undergraduate Research (ICUR) 2021.

What made you submit your research for the Global UA Awards?

I believe that science is a beautiful subject that can open students’ eyes to the wonders of nature, but the science language demands can really hinder their appreciation of the subject. I hope that the findings from my research are useful in helping students with their science writing, and used to engage and support academically weaker/slower progress students so as to encourage them to be active contributors in science classrooms and feel more included. I am extremely grateful for the guidance and support given by my URECA mentor, Dr Seah Lay Hoon, throughout this journey. She allowed me to take charge of this research and turn it into a subject I am passionate about, which contributed to my decision to showcase my work on an international platform.

Any advice you might have for others interested to submit their research for the Global UA Awards?

Just do it! You will never know if you never try. The Global UA aims to recognise undergraduate work, offers the opportunity to share your work with the global audience and connects students across disciplines and cultures. Use this opportunity to share your knowledge and learn from the experience.

What are your future plans? Are there any other projects that you are currently working on?

I am fortunate to be awarded the Singapore Sustainability Scholarship offered by the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) recently and will be embarking on my final year project with them at the National Centre for Food Science (NCFS) next semester. I enjoy applying my biology knowledge for the greater good and since food is an essential part of life, the ability to contribute to food sustainability is something I look forward to.

Alyssa in lab at NCFS.

More about the Global Undergraduate Awards: https://undergraduateawards.com/