Why Science@NTU?- Meet Teh Yu Xuan!

by | May 12, 2023 | People, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences

Still pondering if you should accept that programme offer from NTU College of Science? We meet a few CoS students who share their exciting and fulfilling experience studying Science@NTU! Last but not least, we have Teh Yu Xuan from the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences.

What drew you to pursue a science degree and why Mathematical Sciences specifically?

I have always had a passion for mathematics, and I like to explore how mathematical knowledge is applied in real world situations.

What made you choose NTU College of Science?

I was offered the ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship to study Mathematical Sciences in NTU. Besides the scholarship offer, I chose the College of Science because of two reasons. One, the College provided a wide range of opportunities for me to do research work as an undergraduate. And two, the College’s numerous internship opportunities presented platforms for me through which I could apply what I had learnt in the classroom.

What have you enjoyed most so far in the Mathematical Sciences programme?

The programme gave me the opportunity to carry out research in mathematics and allowed me to learn new things that went beyond the usual course curriculum. I also enjoyed learning under the programme’s faculty, who have been immensely helpful and resourceful towards students, encouraging students to learn and explore more.

Which of your experiences has had the greatest impact on you?

I would say that the one-year long FYP had the greatest impact on my learning experience in SPMS. The rigorous standard that was required of my research results in the FYP report helped me to build a strong solid foundation in both my mathematical analysis and critical thinking skills. The experience has also encouraged me to carry out further research that will potentially contribute to the advancement of our society.

What are your plans after graduation?

After my graduation, I will be pursuing a PhD in Mathematics in NTU under the Nanyang President Graduate Scholarship (NPGS). My PhD research will be on the applications of AI techniques on time series data and high-frequency trading in finance.

Why should students choose NTU College of Science and what advice do you have for those considering joining the College?

The learning experience in the College of Science is great. You will make new friends who share the same learning passions as you, and you will be able to learn a lot from your peers. One piece of advice that I have is this: have an open mind to new ideas and knowledge. The standards may be high in the College, but the overall experience will definitely be rewarding!