Get to know the 2023 CoS Valedictorians: Dyah Nafisah (SPMS)

by | Jul 28, 2023 | Physics, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Women in Science

Convocation season is here again! In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2023 CoS valedictorians. Next up, we have Dyah Nafisah from the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences.

What drew you to pursue a science degree and why Physics specifically?

Physics is a very exciting subject – it allows us to understand many interesting phenomena in in a logical way. It can explain so many things at the micro level such e.g. quantum physics, and also at the macro level e.g cosmology. I’ve had an interest in science –  particularly Physics – since I was in high school back in Indonesia.

I joined the school’s Physics Olympiad team, with hopes to win the national Physics Olympiad medal. While we didn’t win it, I didn’t give up but decided to delve even deeper into Physics  – that’s why I’m here!

What made you choose NTU College of Science, and what have you enjoyed most so far in the Physics programme?

Since I was a child, I’ve dreamt of pursuing a degree in an overseas university. After conducting some research, I felt that Singapore is a great place for me to start since it has a good educational system with flexible learning methods. As one of the leading Asian universities with state-of-the-art research facilities and world-renowned faculty, I decided that NTU CoS was the right place for me to earn my bachelor’s degree in Physics.

NTU Physics has a robust, well-structured curriculum with relevant courses, making it conducive for students to gain an education in Physics. The curriculum equips us with not only knowledge in Physics, but also other skills vital which would make graduates more attractive to employers in various fields, e.g. strong mathematical foundation and computational skills. The faculty members in NTU also make the classes very enjoyable. They are very approachable and always happy to answer my questions.

What are your plans after graduation?

While I love Physics, during my time in CoS, some other fields piqued my curiosity. I took up a Minor in Computing and Data Analytics. To deepen my knowledge and experience in Physics and Computing, I took several projects such as URECA in Quantum Computing and summer research in analysis on neuronal network. I also took several internships in Data Analytics and Data Science.

Upon graduation, I plan to work for a few years in the industry where I will be focusing more on the computing and data analytics field. After which, I plan to pursue a PhD in Quantum Computing where I can make use of my interest and knowledge in both Physics and Computing.

Why should students choose NTU College of Science and what advice do you have for those considering joining the College?

If you are really into science, NTU College of Science is a great place to pursue a degree since it has a conducive learning environment, with a relevant curriculum and knowledgeable faculty. Don’t be scared to ask questions and be proactive in class whenever you have doubts. The professors are more than glad to help you understand science more deeply.

Try to understand as many concepts as you can, and not just focus on the mathematical calculations. Science is much more fun when you understand the essence behind all the theory, instead of just blindly following the formula given to you.

Provide a quote that inspires you.

”When you want something, universe conspires in helping you to achieve it”. Believe in yourself, keep a positive outlook, trust the process and you’ll get there!