Get to know the 2024 CoS Valedictorians: Rebecca Tan Si En (ASE)

by | Jul 31, 2024 | Asian School of the Environment, Earth Sciences, Women in Science

In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2024 CoS valedictorians. They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on transitioning into a new phase of life. First up, we have Rebecca Tan from the Asian School of the Environment.

How did you end up studying Environmental Earth Systems Science and Public Policy and Global Affairs?

I suppose I’ve always had a heart for the environment, or at least since my introduction to it by my inspiring Primary 6 teacher. My goal was to channel this passion into a career that could enact tangible change and create a better future for all, although the substantive way I intend to do so has changed over the years. I chose ASE in particular for its close association with EOS, its curriculum, and quite frankly, the culture demonstrated at the open house session.

As for Public Policy and Global Affairs, I figured that I wanted to be in touch with the world around us anyway, and being the extrinsically-motivated person I was back then, convinced myself to major in it. On hindsight that was scarcely my wisest decision, but I can only say it worked out incredibly well for me.

What did you enjoy most during your four years in NTU ASE?

Definitely the friendships. I really enjoyed the culture in ASE, where everyone is so open and kind. I was constantly side-questing with various batchmates, be it hiking, bouldering, pingpong, karaoke, Ghibli films, scifi, board games, escape rooms and even watching Hamilton. Not to mention the amount of peer help that I received during geology and coding, both subjects that I wasn’t as confident in.

Which experience had the greatest impact on you?

That would be my FYP, because going out to interview strangers about nature really opened my eyes to the diverse perspectives of others, and on a more personal level, helped me to get over some personal fears and realise my desire for community.

What’s your next step after graduation?

I’ll probably do research in the public service!

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science?

Build a community and prioritise your relationships. While technical competencies are undoubtedly important, there is so much more to learn from your peers – their fervour, mindset and goals. My friends were not only an incredible support system, but also my inspiration and mirror to improve myself.

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year?

Allez, we got this! Can’t wait to see how y’all change the world 😀

Provide a quote that inspires you.

“Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.” (Commonly attributed to G. K. Chesterton)