Get to know the 2024 CoS Valedictorians: Goh Chun Ting (CCEB)

by | Aug 5, 2024 | School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology

In this series, Science@NTU gets to know the 2024 CoS valedictorians. They give a quick overview of their time in CoS, and also offer a few words of advice on transitioning into a new phase of life. Last but definitely not least, we have Goh Chun Ting from the School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (an interdisciplinary school joint between the College of Science and College of Engineering).

How did you end up studying Bioengineering?

My fascination with genetic and tissue engineering has driven my academic journey and long-standing ambition to pursue a research career. While exploring academic programs, I found NTU’s Bioengineering program particularly compelling due to its multidisciplinary curriculum that blends biology, engineering, and technology. This holistic approach, combined with ample research opportunities, provides students with hands-on experience and collaboration with leading experts, aligning perfectly with my goals.

Additionally, the diverse career prospects for Bioengineering graduates — spanning research, manufacturing, and the medical device industry — highlight the versatility and potential of this field. The program’s strong emphasis on practical and theoretical learning ensures thorough preparation for a successful and impactful career.

What did you enjoy most during your four years in NTU CCEB?

During my four years in NTU CCEB, I thoroughly enjoyed participating in various research activities that significantly enriched my academic experience. In Year 2, I had the opportunity to join Assoc Prof Tan Meng How’s lab, where I learned advanced laboratory techniques for CRISPR-Cas9 research. This hands-on experience ignited my passion for genetic engineering. One of the highlights was participating in the 2023 International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) competition. Traveling to Paris to present our project on prime editing optimization and expression in stem cells, bacteria, and yeast was an unforgettable experience. It allowed me to interact with international peers and gain valuable insights into synthetic biology.

In Year 3, I completed a URECA project under Prof Balazs Gulyas, focusing on using metallic and magnetic nanoparticles to inhibit amyloid aggregation in Alzheimer’s Disease. This project provided a deep dive into nanotechnology applications in neurodegenerative diseases. My internship at A*Star Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI) introduced me to tissue engineering research for the first time. I worked on a project titled “Biomanufacturing Advanced Templates for Burns Wound Regeneration,” where I learned to build scaffolds for wound regeneration and conducted biological, chemical, and mechanical characterization of these scaffolds. This experience inspired me to pursue my Final Year Project (FYP) in tissue engineering. I joined Professor Chew Sing Yian’s lab to explore how scaffold morphology influences the stiffness of 3D-printed scaffolds. I designed and printed scaffolds with varying pore sizes and cross-sectional areas to understand how morphological changes impact scaffold stiffness—an essential parameter in scaffold fabrication.

Which experience had the greatest impact on you?

The experience that had the greatest impact on me was my participation in iGEM 2023. Traveling to Paris to present our project was a transformative opportunity. It allowed me to immerse myself in the latest advancements in synthetic biology and witness firsthand the innovative projects being developed worldwide. This eye-opening experience highlighted the limitless potential of synthetic biology, inspiring me to think more creatively and ambitiously about my own work. Presenting our project also deepened my understanding of our research, as I had to communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively to a diverse audience. This experience not only broadened my perspective but also solidified my passion for research.

What’s your next step after graduation?

I am currently working as a research assistant at Duke NUS, but I am planning to pursue further studies in the future!

Any words of advice to students who intend to study Science or Engineering?

Don’t be afraid of failure, science and engineering are challenging fields, and we all learn from setbacks. Embrace these experiences as they provide valuable lessons and contribute to your growth. Study hard, but also make sure to participate in various activities and clubs at school. These extracurricular experiences will help you develop a well-rounded perspective and build lasting friendships. When coursework feels overwhelming, take a break to clear your mind. Allow yourself time to relax and reflect, which will enable you to approach complex concepts with a fresh perspective. Balancing academics with extracurricular activities and self-care is crucial for a fulfilling and successful educational journey.

What advice do you have for your peers who are graduating this year?

As we step into the future, let’s embrace the boundless opportunities before us with courage and determination. Class of 2024, let’s go out and leave our mark on the world!

Provide a quote that inspires you.

“Whatever you are interested in and get excited about, that is what you should do.” By Michael Kosterlitz, Nobel Prize laureate in Physics, 2016