Get to know the 2024 SPMS Award Winners

by and | Aug 7, 2024 | School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences

We had a chance to speak to several of the School’s award winners. They shared about their final year project, talked about a turning point for them in their undergraduate journey, recounted an experience in NTU that had a profound impact upon them.

Khor Sze Chong, Bachelor of Science in Mathematical and Computer Sciences (Double Major)

Tell us about your Final Year Project.

My FYP was about an alternative, probabilistic way of finding solutions to a partial differential equation involving the peculiar Caputo-type partial fractional derivative. A major hurdle I had to overcome was on studying what the Caputo fractional derivative is and learning how it’s applied in mathematical models of anomalous diffusion and finance. The other half of my research was dedicated to simulating solutions to a simple but important variation of the heat equation using a Monte Carlo technique and adapting the method to more general initial conditions.

Truth be told, I was terribly anxious when I first started my FYP. I’ve never seen or worked on fractional derivatives before, and brief Google searches only made me doubt myself more. My supervisors, Profs Nicolas Privault and Niyato Dusit, were extremely patient and helpful, giving me much needed guidance at every step of the research process. Thanks to them, I was able to understand the content well and eventually produce work that I can be proud of.

What was a moment of failure or setback that ultimately became a turning point for your success?

During the summer of 2021 when the COVID-19 Pandemic was still going on, things were rough. Household drama, coupled with a lack of a hall placing and no internship offers weighed heavily on my mind. I was starting to lose my motivation right before the start of the new semester.

It was a truly tough time for everyone in my family, but tough times create tough people. It was during this period where I strengthened my resolve to work hard for myself. As my parents a growing older, I wanted to be someone that they could rely on and not have to worry about. This desire for independence would drive me throughout the rest of my time at NTU.

Can you share a story about a person, event or experience during your time in NTU that had a profound impact on your personal or academic development?

The one decision that truly defined my experience in NTU can only be to take MH9200: Advanced Investigations in Linear Algebra, but not in the way you’d expect. It was in this module that I met my group of friends who would eventually support, encourage, and motivate me all throughout my 4 years in SPMS. At first, we were a group of like-minded, maybe a tad eccentric people with the desire to learn a little more Linear Algebra than usual. As time and tides passed, I found in them truly outstanding, motivated (but still eccentric) companions. Together, we overcame many trials and tribulations and had a lot of conversations over hotpot in our common goal: to survive, but also to have fun along the way.

Chan Joshua Juan Yin, Bachelor of Science in Mathematical Sciences

Tell us about your Final Year Project.

My FYP focuses on developing a Monte Carlo method to numerically approximate the Duhamel’s solution of wave equations, particularly when these equations include polynomial non-linearities. In simpler terms, our aim was to find a way to solve these complex equations using random sampling techniques. A significant part of the research was proving that the expected value of our numerical solution exists. We approached this problem by viewing it as a stochastic branching process and derived the probability generating function (PGF) of the progeny problem using both combinatorial and numerical methods.

This allowed us to recover a quantitative estimate on the sufficient conditions for the solution’s L-1 integrability. Currently, I am working on extending this to show uniform integrability, which would further validate the robustness of our solution. My FYP is now nearing publication, and I have been working closely with postdoc student Dr. Huang Qiao and Professor Nicolas Privault on this.

During my final year, I faced significant stress about my future as I was about to graduate. Initially, I was not entirely sure about pursuing a PhD and spent a lot of time applying for software engineering jobs. I faced over a hundred rejections, which was quite disheartening and stressful. However, I decided to focus on my strengths and what I needed to do at that moment — my FYP and research. I reminded myself that job applications could continue after graduation, but I had limited time to complete my FYP. Prof. Privault provided tremendous encouragement and guidance during this time. His support helped me refocus on my research and, eventually, I was able to produce work that I was proud of.

Prof. Privault had a profound impact on my personal and academic development. His encouragement and mentorship were crucial during my time of uncertainty about my future. He advised me to concentrate on my research and on what I excel at, which helped me manage my worries about job hunting. Working with him on my FYP was highly rewarding. He guided me through the intuitive thinking process and the trial-and-error approach necessary for mathematical research. His teaching emphasized the importance of “boldly hypothesize and carefully verify,” which has been invaluable to my development as a researcher.

Tang Yi Qwan, Bachelor of Science in Mathematical and Computer Sciences (Double Major)

In Year 2, I encountered severe emotional challenges that affected my ability to focus during classes. At my lowest point, I seriously considered dropping out of university. Fortunately, my course mates and friends provided unwavering support, encouraging me to push through the tough times. In Year 3, I joined the Rotaract Club of NTU, which was a significant turning point. Working with my team on meaningful projects not only helped me regain my footing but also instilled a renewed sense of purpose and pride. This experience enabled me to get everything back on track, finish my degree with confidence, and contribute back to society by helping our beneficiaries.

Professor Patrick Pun had a profound impact on my academic development. During a group project, his guidance was invaluable as we navigated complex, real-world problems. The project involved hands-on experience and real-world applications, giving me a glimpse into the life of a quant. Professor Patrick’s availability and dedication in addressing our doubts, especially with the challenging Heston model, boosted my confidence and showed his commitment to our success.