CEE-Laos Mega School Project II 2018 was part of the Mega School Project II (MSP II), a joint project that involved 11 teams over a period of two years.

A group of 18 students from Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) participated in the CEE-Laos Mega School Project II 2018. They helped to construct the school and conduct teaching sessions for Laotian students. The completion of this project provided the students in this municipality with easier access to Upper Secondary education, as the nearest school is 18km away.

This trip was a unique experience to the team as they had the opportunity to experience the Laotian culture and village life during their stay in Laos. In addition, they also learned how to adapt to different living conditions and changes to student demographics during teaching sessions.

“This trip has been an eye-opening and enriching one. Having spent most of my life in Singapore, it is easy to take for granted the simple things in life – running water, stable electricity, access to education, proper infrastructure, advance transport network, and the list goes on. However, many Singaporeans in my generation may have forgotten that these things did not come free or easy to Singapore. In hope of a better future, hard work and determination had to be put in by our predecessors. While this trip was meant to help the village, one cannot argue that the villagers have assisted and taught us more than what we did for them. Their love and hospitality has rekindled the human warmth that is hard to find in Singapore. Despite the lack of modern amenities, their unity and positive attitude carried them through the daily struggles of life. This trip has greatly enriched my life, spurred me to grow further and pushed me beyond my comfort zone. It has also taught me invaluable life lessons that will be deeply etched in my mind. Life will never be short of hardship, but it is how you deal with it that matters.” Ong Wee Keong, Chief Logistics

About Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) Club

CEE Club consists of students from 3 different majors, namely Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Maritime Studies. It aims to enrich student’s university life, meet students; needs, build a bridge between faculties and students, and voice out for CEE students in NTU.

In order to provide the students with service-learning experience overseas, it has been an annual event of CEE Club to send students for overseas service-learning projects and give back to the community both locally and overseas.