Taiwan withdrawal syndrome

The second semester has started, but I’m still trying to kick back into gear. Well, this is because I’m experiencing what I call the “Taiwan withdrawal syndrome”.

Taiwan withdrawal syndrome, noun

1. The removal of a being from an overseas environment resulting in a combination of symptoms of uneasiness and pining that are characteristic of the disease.

Note: The disease is usually contracted shortly after removal from the environment, and symptoms will wear off in about a week, depending on the individual’s memories and circumstances.

Credit: The Germaine Tan Dictionary

Jokes aside, I must say the trip to Taiwan with the other University Scholar Programme (USP) students was extremely enlightening. I also managed to use my Polaroid camera to take a few scenic shots, which was really fun. My shots look quite amateur, though!

To be honest, I’ve never been to any museums prior to this trip. In fact, the number of museums I visited in Taiwan exceeds the number I’ve visited my whole life! But I have more appreciation for them now, and I think I’ll be making a trip down to one of Singapore’s museums during my next school break. 😉

We managed to stay in a Minsu (homestay) in Taiwan. It was the most luxurious and comfortable accommodation I’ve ever had on an overseas trip. The two-storey room came with two queen-sized beds and a jacuzzi! I’m not a “wood expert” but I could tell that the furniture and flooring were of good quality. Needless to say, my roomie from NTU and I had a blast, and we had many late nights talking, watching television and munching on the snacks and drinks provided.

G1The Want Want snacks were a pleasant surprise! Made for a great midnight snack, especially with hot green tea.

G2The jacuzzi was a delight. As we’ve never used a jacuzzi before, my roomie and I did something silly by turning on the jacuzzi before filling up the bathtub. What happened? Well, let’s just say that we almost turned the bathroom into a swimming pool…

G3I had tons of fun with the loft concept in the rooms. Spot me if you can!

G4All the railings were decorated with fairy lights such as these.

G5When we arrived in the evening, the rain had just stopped and this beautiful white rose caught my eye.

G6The mini café at the Minsu. A few of us went there to hang out and chill while waiting for our dinner.

G7I snapped a Polaroid of the colourful units the next morning.

Another highlight of the trip was pottery-making. Before the trip, we went to Lorong Tawas to have a pottery-making session with Mrs Yulianti Tan, a third-generation potter in Singapore. She gave us a simple introduction to pottery and the kilns, including a hands-on session on how to make a vase. We let our imagination run wild and came up with our own designs.

G8I call this: The Confused Monster.

G9We had a blast making our vases that day. 🙂

In Taiwan, we tried a different type of pottery-making. We made something that looks like a tablet that you can hang on your wall for Chinese New Year. We had to pat the clay in a special way so that there would not be creases or bubbles that would affect the piece during the firing process. I used a few of the prints provided and tweaked the design to make it look funkier. But I think it turned out more “fishy” than funky… I mean, doesn’t it look like a stingray?

G10My stingray.

We also put our hands to the test by playing with the excess clay – kind of reminds me of my primary school days when we messed around with clay!

G11

G12Clay riceballs!

G13McDonald’s Extra Value Meal, anyone?

My greatest takeaway from the trip? The invaluable friendships I made. I hope we can continue to keep in touch even if we don’t end up in the same class under the University Scholars Programme.

G14My only regret from the trip – not having taken enough pictures!

Check out my other post about the Taiwan trip on the USP page if you have the time: www.ntuusp.blogspot.com

G15

Comments? Email us at hey@ntu.edu.sg