Amanda Arielle Lu

Class of 2017

Final Year Project(s)

thx ↵ sry ↵ luv u ↵ at NTU ADM Portfolio

thx ↵
sry ↵
luv u ↵

Understanding the significance of universal words of expression and their positions in Singaporean culture

Through information visualisation installation, publication and videography, this project examines the meanings and impacts of three universally known phrases: “Thank you”, “I’m sorry, please forgive me” and “I love you”. These phrases may appear to be common (even overlooked), but do we recognise the impacts they are able to create on our recipients?

This project seeks to further understand the underlying value of how these phrases are expressed in family units, by engaging young Singaporean adults in honest conversations.

TY • SRY • LUV U at NTU ADM Portfolio

TY • SRY • LUV U

Understanding the significance of universal words of expression and its place in Singaporean culture

Through a typographic mural installation, documentary film and editorial design, this project questions the meanings and applied impacts of three universally known but deceptively simple phrases: “Thank you”, “I’m sorry, please forgive me” and “I love you”. This project seeks to further understand the underlying value of how these phrases are expressed in family units, by engaging young adults in an open conversation. Ultimately, the project aims to inspire a higher quality of positive communication in the home, by propelling viewers to reconsider the meanings and profound impacts of speaking these words in day-to-day conversations with their kin.