Base Dress + cloth for ruffles!

After finally receiving the gradient-white-to-blue chiffon cloth from Taobao, we started creating dress by sewing the base dress. I have decided to work with cotton as the base, so that I can eventually sew on the ruffles. Also, I chose to work with double layers so that it can’t be seen through! (just in case, you can never be too safe haha)
dsc_1554 dsc_1555

Once we’re down with the base dress, Galina taught me how I can attach the first layer of ruffles to the base dress while keeping a neat seam. The first layer of the dress was also sewn almost like the base dress, but with a flair bottom to make room for the ruffles!

Without wasting time, we then go on to cut cloth for the ruffles! Galina enlightened me that a good ruffle normally needs about 2 to 3 times the length of cloth as compared to the length of the dress/length that needs the ruffles. my cloth is 3m long and I am using the entire length for the skirt!

dsc_1589dsc_1590

I love the gradient!

img-20161021-wa0008

The white-to-light blue dress was sewn via french seam. It was about to be attached to the base dress itself. Galina helped me with it with the industrial sewing machine, which can be scary since it is hard to control at first, but it does finish quick! She also reminds me that ironing and sewing the lining helps to stiffen the top of the dress so that it wont slide in on itself. (Thanks Galina!!)

dsc_1598 dsc_1596