The making of IV

The final part of the dress is the wood veneer! I got the ebony wood veneer from Nissi Woods. The owner, Gary is super nice. He gave me a discount as he knew that I was still a student! Initially, I wanted to use the wood veneer as it is, just to wrap around the dress. However, after much consideration I decided to lasercut some patterns on the veneer to make it stand out more. I wanted to lasercut the whole strip of veneer, however due to the size limitation of the lasercutting machine I had to break into 4 parts to lasercut.

img_8942
Sanding the veneers with a fine grade sandpaper
img_8944
Oiling in progress

The veneers had to be sanded, oiled and waxed. Thereafter, I had to punch holes for the eyelets so as to join the pieces of veneer together. The eyelets were gold in color originally and I spray painted them black to better match the veneer.

img_8945
Spray painting the eyelets
img_8957
Hammering in the eyelets
img_8959
Placing the wood veneer on the dress

Some of the difficulties I encountered while working with veneer was that it is not as flexible as I want it to be. And when placing the veneer on my dress, some parts cracked and I had to cut away a portion as it is dropping off. Also, it was quite a headache trying to secure the veneer on the dress using invisible thread as I was so afraid of damaging the veneer.

0 comments on “The making of IVAdd yours →