About writer

Hi there! My name is Toh Yi Jie (the guy in orange, with my archery friends) and I am currently a 3rd Year Psychology Undergraduate. I created this blog for my conservation psychology course, so I really hope the theories that I’ve tried to apply would get through. But nonetheless, thank you for making all the way to this page (supposed to be the last page), I hope you have at least enjoyed reading my blog. If not at least found it informative 🙂

About me

I would think that I am a relatively boring person so I don’t really know what to say, but I would say I’m a conflicting individual? As a person, I hate sports and the outdoors, yet somehow I enjoy going to the gym and I am currently the active Captain for NTU Archery Club. So if you find irony interesting, I guess you would find me interesting. Oh and I have this weird obsession with needing anything reflective (my glasses, phone, laptop screen, etc) to be clean (I hope I am not the only one).

Design of my blog

Alright, so let me try and explain why my blog took such a childish attempt. By making it colorful and bright, along with all the cute looking animals, I was hoping to capture the readers attention (activating their peripheral route in psychology terms). From there, as the blog continues and the content becomes heavier and wordier because, more information are provided as well. This is because I assumed that you, the reader, would be interested and pay attention more closely (activating the central route). This is also known as the elaboration likelihood model. By using this method, I was hoping my blog could be more effective in causing an attitude change in you! But I don’t think that there was much research done with its application on e-platforms, so I thought it would be fun to try 🙂

Topic of my blog

As mentioned, this blog was created for my conservation psychology so naturally the topic will relate to conservation. I chose to do biodiversity in Southeast Asia (SEA) primarily due to the Chek Jawa lecture piquing my interest. Prior to that lecture, I had actually just visited Check Jawa with one my volunteer kid. We enjoyed it a lot, but then one of the question that ran through my head was “why will the government ever spend money on something so impractical?”.  Within 2 weeks we had a talk with the guest lecturer and I understood things better with the new information provided. It was at that moment that I realize how my prior ignorance could have also been a cause of the biodiversity crisis, therefore I chose to do this topic- making up for past mistakes I suppose? I guess I would like to spread more awareness for conservation as well. 3Rs guys, 3Rs 🙂