The BAPI was improved and a new conservation measure, Indonesian Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (IBSAP), was developed in 2003.
The objectives of IBSAP were:
1. To encourage changes in attitude and behaviour of Indonesian individuals and society, along with existing institutions and legal instruments, so as to increase concern about conservation and utilization of biodiversity, in accord with national laws and international conventions
2. To apply scientific and technological inputs, and local wisdom when dealing with conservation issues
3. To implement balanced conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity
4. To strengthen institutions and law enforcement related to biodiversity conservation
5. To resolve conflicts over natural resources