Social Media Strategy in Academic Libraries – implementation experience at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Libraries
A half-day workshop (See Programme)
Date : 17 Aug 2013 (Sat), 09:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Venue : Nanyang Technological University, Library Instructional Commons, Alexandra Room, Blk N2, Level B3 (one level below Business Library)
Email : For more information, please contact NTU Libraries at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fee : Free for IFLA delegates
Many libraries have created social media sites enthusiastically to reach out to their increasingly sophisticated audience. Within a university, it is not uncommon to see a myriad collection of QR codes, Facebook Pages, Twitter accounts, blogs, Flick photos and YouTube videos set up by students, administrative staff and faculty.
Beyond using these ubiquitous tools for library promotion and information literacy, NTU Libraries decided to embrace social media more systematically and comprehensively to identify new niches for user collaborations and to create opportunities for enhancing or developing new library services. A key component of the strategy is to adopt a whole-of-organisation approach where all librarians understand the potential of these tools and leverage them effectively, turning every librarian into a consummate marketer of library services. A New Media Group was also formed to coordinate and drive the libraries’ social media initiatives.
The half day workshop will be conducted by the New Media team at NTU Libraries. During the first half of the workshop, the team will discuss aspects of the Social Media strategy, learning points on winning user acceptance and examples of social media projects. They will then demonstrate how to create a vibrant user community using free or low cost social media tools for the second half of the workshop. Participants can bring along their notebook PCs and try out these tools immediately. The workshop will end with a panel discussion, drawing librarians from different countries, to share how various libraries implement their social media strategies and the challenges faced.
- NTU Library’s Social Media Strategy and whole of organization approach
- Specific case studies – blogs services to faculty, administration and students
- Implementation of self-hosted blogs@NTU – sharing of experience on infrastructure, performance, security and adding new functionalities
- Characteristics of different types of social media – creating and dissemination of content, monitoring of feedback, etc.
- Tips on creating interesting social media application – colourful QR codes, visualisation of library tweets, turning blogs mobile friendly, etc
- A panel discussion about use of social media in academic libraries
New Media Group Team from NTU Libraries, comprising
- Choy Fatt Cheong (University Librarian)
- Chia Yew Boon (Deputy Director, New Media Group and Head of Humanities & Social Sciences Library)
- Michael Tan Siew Chye (Senior Librarian, Library Technology Group, New Media Group)
- Joan Wee Jee Foon (Senior Librarian, New Media Group and Social Sciences Librarian, Economics)
- Hedren Sum (Assistant Librarian, New Media Group and Art & Design Librarian)
And also an international panel of librarians.