The course introduces concepts of structures and properties of atoms and molecules, bonding, introductory thermodynamics, periodicity, isomerism and chemical reactions, the fundamentals of spectroscopy, electronic structure of atoms, periodic properties, ionic substances, covalent bonding, Lewis representations of molecules and ions, shapes of molecules, Lewis acids and bases, Bronsted acids and bases, hybridization and resonance, introduction to organic chemistry, chemistry of life and biological Chemistry. Laboratory work will provide the students with hands on application of the key concepts and principles learned during the duration of the course thus further enhancing their understanding. The module will be conducted following team based pedagogies involving open discussion and activities. Critical thinking, interdisciplinary and collaborative team work would be promoted during the course in order to achieve better understanding of the theoretical concepts and apply them to real life problems.
This subject gives an introduction to Chemistry and Biological Chemistry with emphasis in basic concepts of chemistry. Facilitate learning through team based work and enhance their interests and awareness in Chemistry.
|S/N||Topic||TB Lecture Hours||LAB Hours|
|4||NMR and IR Spectroscopy||2||6|
The students will be introduced to the various concepts of chemistry and be better prepared for tackling more practical problems in Chemistry. They will learn to discuss and express their/others’ ideas through team work based activities. After taking this module, the students will be better suited for team work which is a major asset in modern scientific and corporative world.
Students will be assessed by:
a. Final Examination (30%)
b. Continual Assessment (individual and team work 50% & labs 20%)
Every group has to successfully produce a blog page and two short video clips.
The blog is composed of the following tabs:
- Introduction. This page should be use to introduce the topic of the group
- Chemical concept. Each group has explain in detail the chemical concept chosen by the group within the topic given to the group.
- Applications. Each group should chose one specific application of the chemical concept chosen.
- References. all the resources for the blog and the pictures have to be referenced.
- Assignments. Each weekly group assignment has to be uploaded before before the deadline.
- About the group. This space if for the group to introduce themselves in any fashion they want.
- Meeting logs. this tab is important for every group meeting regarding the group assignments. The groups have to meet to prepare their assignments and their multimedia project. The meeting log should contain (location, duration, participants and absentees, topics discussed, actions to be taken and by who before the next meeting, and any other relevant information that the group decides to document).
The blog will help structure the information before the videoclip on the selected topic is produced.
The multimedia part is composed by two short videoclips:
- video 1: A detailed and comprehensive explanation of the chemical concept of choice (around 2 minutes duration)
- video 2: Application/s of the chemical concept previously explained (around 3:30 min)
As an example you could have a look at the videos below. Instead of applications their project was more of the implications to society of the chemical concept.
Green house and global warming:
Fats and Oils:
Ozone and radicals: