In the Field (496 Words)

1. How have the experiences in Vietnam aligned/differed from what you expected before the trip (refer to pre-trip reflections)?

I had very general expectations, mainly to learn more about the Vietnamese culture. I learnt about their cultural practices and was able to observe their way of life, which seemed more relaxed compared to the hectic city life of Singapore. For example, I noticed that the restaurants had a tranquil and serene atmosphere which Singaporean restaurants seem to lack. In Singapore, one would be urged to leave once the meal was finished to make space for more customers. In Vietnam, however, we were welcomed to stay even if we had finished eating. I also learnt that playing the flute and embroidery was a strong part of their culture. Thus, in the most general sense, my expectations were met.

However, I realised that my experiences have differed. First, I did not expect Sapa to have such persistent locals who were so determined to sell tourist items and goods. One example was a lady who wordlessly entered our group photo, then attempted to sell her goods. I was surprised by her invasiveness but admired her strong resolve. Furthermore, most locals had some command of English to facilitate sales, thus the language barrier I had anticipated proved to be a non-issue. Second, I realised that I had preconceived notions which affected my expectations subconsciously. For example, I would have assumed that the litter on the mountain was due to tourists. However, the tour guide told us that it was actually the local’s fault. In fact, it was the tourists who taught the locals the importance of keeping their environment clean. I hence realised that I carried with me biases and assumptions which should not be imposed in a foreign land. (277 words)

1. Comment on your presence, training, and identity in a different social and cultural setting.

At times, I felt that my presence was simply reduced to that of a typical university tourist; the locals were persistent in selling goods and the tour guide feeding me information only emphasised the role I was in. I thus felt that I was simply observing their culture and only making economic contributions. However, in the meaningful moments such as when they shared more personal stories, my presence transcended that of a tourist to that of a friend and I felt a human connection.

One event that emphasised the different social and cultural setting occurred during the homestay in Sapa. Personally, I seldom drink alcohol because I do not like its taste and I want to maintain sobriety. During the homestay, the host proposed a toast with authentic rice wine, to which I accepted out of respect. Sometime into dinner, he proposed another toast to which I politely declined for the aforementioned reasons. However, he insisted whilst my friend nudged me and whispered, “Don’t be rude lah, just drink.” I ended up drinking, but not without questioning what one should do when a conflict of personal and cultural beliefs arises. The question of whether it is immoral to stick to your beliefs, or whether we owe some duty to conform to their practices remains an open question for me. (219 words)

Post-trip Reflection (491 Words)

1. Review your pre-trip post and write a reflection on how your expectations have been met, or were not met. Why?

My hope to experience unique, authentic Vietnam culture was fulfilled and I took away many experiences that I am thankful to have. For example, the trek up the mountains was particularly meaningful to me because I experienced a day in the life of the locals who lived in the mountains. From the stunning scenery to the exhausting hike up towards the village, I learned through experience about what it was like to live in their environment. Towards the end of the trail, we met three Vietnamese women carrying firewood who told us about a shortcut which locals commonly took up the mountain. We thus travelled the route locals usually travelled upon, which was extremely steep and vastly different from the easier route which tourists took. I was thoroughly impressed by the strength of these women who scaled the incline effortlessly as it left us panting and weary. The difference in physical health further emphasised the different sets of lifestyles we had from these locals. I also particularly enjoyed the herbal bath that welcomed us at the end of the day; the warmth seeping back into my bones and the fresh feeling was simply indescribable. In addition, I was not disappointed by the drastic change in landscape compared to Singapore. In my pre-trip reflections, I mentioned that I had not been overseas for a long time, and seeing how different the world could be only increased my curiosity and wonder about the rest of the world. (245 words)

1. Which event/s and/or experience/s are the most impactful?

There were many experiences that taught me much about the Vietnam culture as discussed above, but what impacted me the most was actually experienced right after the trip when we reached Singapore. When walking towards the arrival hall, I did not feel as if I was returning to my home country. Somehow, Singapore felt like an extension of Vietnam. I remember reaching Vietnam and lacking the intuition that I was in a different country. Perhaps it was due to the distance my house was from NTU that I had already started to perceive every place as simply an extension of where I was used to. I then started to question, “What is home? Why didn’t I feel like I was coming home?” I then realised that home to me was not defined by location; rather, it meant the comfort and warmth of the people who I consider my family. During the trip, I felt snippets of the same comfort and warmth from my group members, from conversing with the locals and from interacting with group leaders and professors. Touching down to Singapore was insufficient to generate the feeling of coming home because it only represented a decreased numeric value of the distance I was from my house. To think I was truly home would hence be a decision based on arbitrary numbers. Instead, I realised I felt truly home in Vietnam in the company of my friends and locals who had bonded over our shared experiences. (246 words)