The ride of a lifetime

It seems like only yesterday when I attended the Renaissance Engineering Programme’s freshmen orientation camp.

I remember how, several months ago, after a long day of fun and games, we first-years spread ourselves on the sand at Siloso Beach to form the letters “REP”, the abbreviated name of our programme. As you can see in the picture, standing over our colourful formation were some very imposing seniors… Actually, they were really nice and helpful. 🙂

It’s always good to hear encouraging words of advice from students who have gone through their first years in university.

My REP mates and I during our orientation camp in Sentosa. I was part of the “P”!

I always tell my roomie: “I’ve progressed to a stage in my life where sleep is a luxury.” I thought sleep was hard to come by during A-levels, but it appears I’m quite mistaken!

University life is like a roller coaster ride – thrilling, but sometimes daunting. At first you are really excited but when the moment comes, you start getting nervous and think: “Okay, why did I do this?!”

The aftermath of my first semester: soaked socks and shoes left to bake in the sun.

After our last paper, my classmates and I had a spontaneous sports session involving basketball and soccer. We played from 2pm until 6pm… not even the pouring rain could stop us.

We emerged from the session drenched, blistered and bruised from the slippery grounds. Some of us even came down with a flu (did I mention we played in really heavy rain?). Still, we felt young. I know, I know… I am young. But you know how it is – people sometimes feel older than they really are. 😉

My first semester was crazily fun. Apart from getting used to hall life and the Renaissance Engineering Programme, a few of us also had to juggle with University Scholars Programme (USP) curriculum. My USP experience (for now) involves three extra hours per week and two essays… the workload can seem daunting sometimes!

But I’m cheered up whenever I remind myself about the 7D6N cultural trip to Taiwan in January – an outing for all USP students. As the pioneer batch to the programme, we’re not only excited to travel, bond and learn, but also to introduce USP to our peers, potential juniors and the world.

The confirmed itinerary is not released yet, but I know for sure we’ll be visiting museums, pottery houses, universities and hot springs… I’m super psyched.

More on the Taiwan trip when I return! 🙂

Comments? Email us at hey@ntu.edu.sg