Prototype-making and experiments, Week 5 (9/9)

Having taken a big step ahead with my proposed idea, I started to work with prototypes to see if I can achieve my idea.

The kinetic flower:

Firstly, I ventured into the kinetic flower, where I made use of a piece of paper for the petals and a straw for the stem. The straw will facilitate the movement of the strings, such that the strings threaded through it will keep to a straight path when pulled from one end.

Kinetic flower prototype
Kinetic flower prototype

Here is a video showing the opening and closing of the petals for my prototype.

The circular weave:

I did some research on how to make circular weaves, so that I can incorporate the circular shape into the weaving of aluminum cans.

48-circle-triangle-weaving-wp
Triangular Woven Circle, 48″ diameter, flame colors on copper, https://www.searlesart.com/copper-metal-wall-art/#jp-carousel-2791
circle-spiral-weaving-flame48-wp
Woven Spiral Circle #4, 48″ diameter, flame colors on copper, https://www.searlesart.com/copper-metal-wall-art/#jp-carousel-2788

basket-base-weaving

However, the prototypes I made does not seem to hold together well because the aluminum pieces tend to bend back to their original form. Therefore, I decided to forgo the idea of incorporating circular shapes into my dress and focus more on making a cohesive piece with angular shapes.

Circular weave
Circular weave
Weaving triangular shapes to make a circular weave

The Oil spill effect:

In an attempt to address the concern on how oil spillage has harmed the birds and aquatic animals, I experimented with corrugated cardboard, acrylic paint and gloss varnish. Firstly, I tore one surface of the corrugated cardboard to reveal the jagged inside and to create a tattered appearance like a leaf bitten by caterpillar as a metaphor to how we are slowly consuming our world with our irresponsible act. Secondly, I applied different shades of oil spill. Thirdly, I applied a thin layer of gloss to replicate the shine on the surface of oil.

img_20161118_151658

The result turns out to be unsatisfactory (to me because it was not up to my expectation), moreover I decided that there are too much elements to my work so I did not develop on this idea.

Published inResearch

Be First to Comment