Green energy is an essential part of a sustainable development. The major advantage of using renewable energy is that as it is renewable, it is therefore sustainable and so will never run out. More importantly, green energy produces little or no waste products; this means green energy has minimal impact on the environment. However, green energy comes with some disadvantages that might outweigh the advantages it brought. Group 27 focuses on the impacts of three popular forms of green energy: solar energy, tidal energy and bio-energy.
- Chemical concepts
- Implications to the society
Second meeting was conducted online on 25th of Feb 2015, the whole duration last about one day.
All the members turn up for the meeting. We discussed about details on what to write for “about team” as well as lying down the format for the contents of the blog.
We plan to finish most of the content required for the blog on 2nd of March 2015 but some teammates having their own commitments during the recess week. They are required to contribute more to the videos that we have to flim for the project.
Each member have to do their research regarding the topic before we meet again.
First meeting was conducted online on 6th of Feb 2015, the whole duration last about two days.
All the team members attended the meeting. We discuss about possible topics regarding unit 4 and we come into conclusion that green energy are the most interesting topic amongst the few. After which, an email was sent to the course instructor for confirmation. Google document will be set up for editing purpose which require gmail to access to relavent document. Not everyone have a gmail account and advice is given to set up one as it is very useful for projects as well as other function.
Before next meeting, we will input introduction into the blog. Next meeting will be on finishing up contents under “chemical concept” and “implication to society”.
1. Earth is not cooling rapidly despite the energy leaving Earth’s surface are much higher than the solar energy striking Earth’s surface, that is because of solar energy from the sun are not only striking the Earth’s surface but also trapped by the atmosphere even before they reach the surface and the energy that are leaving the earth’s surface are largely trapped by the atmosphere, those energy are trapped by the atmosphere slows down the cooling.
2. The statement made by the cartoon is not justified. Global warming is about increase in the average temperature of Earth. It might not have an effect or significant effect on the lowest temperature in certain areas, as long as the temperature fall below 0 Degree Celsius, it is possible for snowing to take place, therefore snowing is not a sign that the global warming is alleviating.
3. The design was not successful as there are huge amount of water molecules present in the air in the form of water vapour, which absorb the energy of the microwave at the wave range that are emitted by the radar device, thus there are no reflection of those microwave back to the receiver and no object are detected by the radar.
4. Air quality poses the most serious problem in the short run and global warming poses the most serious problem in the long run. Particles in the air can diffuse and goes away with the wind, it can cause serious health issues in the short run, but the certain particles in the air will gets purify by forest or naturally break down in the long run. If we stop produce or lower the rate that those harmful particles in the air are being produced, it will take relatively shorter time to recover as compare to global warming and stratospheric ozone depletion. Global warming on the other hand poses serious problem on the long run, as those species that cannot adapt to raising temperature and more extreme weather will extinct, and raising sea level means large scale of land will submerge under sea water, lesser space for land animals and plants. Its effect is not easily reversible and will be the most severe in the long run.