E-books are very convenient. You can read or refer to an e-book anytime and anywhere you want, even when the library is closed. It is also convenient to bring with you as it is can be easily accessed from mobile devices.
E-books are useful for quick references, quick checks for definitions, facts and figures, and how-to guides.
Searching for e-books
E-book titles can be accessed the following ways:
1. Using the NTU Library Catalogue
This is similar to the search for books with minor modifications. Follow the instructions at the E-book webpage.
2. Browsing through e-book collections/series
Most of the e-book titles are bought in collections or series. You can browse the medical e-book collections here.
For more details on how to search for e-books, refer to our guide here.
Browsing the collection
The major providers of e-books in the field of Medicine and Life Sciences are listed below. To access, click on the titles and login with your NTU network username and password.
- Elsevier (via ScienceDirect) provides more than 300 titles of clinical medicine subject areas such as Medicine and Dentistry, Nursing and Health Professions, Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Science and Veterinary Science and Veterinary Medicine.
- Oxford Medicine Online covers clinical medicine, drugs & medicines, haematology, medical ethnics, medical skills, obstetrics & gynaecology, paediatrics, psychiatry, radiology, surgery, etc.
- Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins (LWW) provides more than 390 titles in the areas of health sciences and medicine. Check Books@Ovid or click on Books on the top blue banner to access the e-books.
- World Scientific – NTU subscribes to about 20 e-book titles, most of them written by the Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London. Please note that full content title can be accessed when there is a “unlock and a word FULL” icon beside the book chapter.
Covers subjects in Biomedical Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. View its Database Information Page.
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (ELS)
ELS is a comprehensive reference source in the field of biological sciences containing over 3000 articles. Core subjects covered include biochemistry, cell biology, clinical medicine, developmental biology, diversity of life, ecology, evolution, genetics, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, plant science, structural biology and virology. View its Database Information Page.
- Wiley Online Library
The library has subscriptions to e-books in the Medicine and Life Sciences collection. View its Database Information Page.
- Elsevier Reference Works and Book Series
Covers a wide range of disciplines and subject areas including medicine, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology and toxicology. Access is through the database platform ScienceDirect Online. Full text availability is indicated by green key symbol. View its Database Information Page.
- Dissertations & Theses by Proquest provides theses on humanities & social sciences, medicine, sciences & engineering collections.